Star College Scheme” has been initiated by DBT to support colleges and university departments offering undergraduate education to improve science teaching by having Hands-on training and projects of day to day relevance creating interest in students to pursue science courses at Undergraduate level. The program aims to improve the skills of teachers by organizing faculty training, improved curriculum and emphasis on practical training to students by providing access to specialized infrastructure and consumables.
Kanya Maha Vidyalaya Jalandhar was selected under DBT Star College Scheme in 2015 with sanction order no. BT/HRD/11/022/2014
Grant sanctioned during the period (2015-18): Rs. 47 lac
Four departments are covered under this scheme
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Botany
- Department of Zoology
Objectives of Star College Scheme:
- To strengthen the academic and physical infrastructure for achieving excellence in teaching and training.
- To provide better library facility to students and teachers
- To enhance the quality of the learning and teaching process to stimulate original thinking through ‘hands–on’ exposure to experimental work and participation in summer schools.
- To promote networking and strengthen ties with neighboring institutions and other laboratories
- To conduct specialized training programs for faculty improvement for optimizing technical capabilities
- To increase capabilities of core instrumentation resources by procuring new equipment and upgrading of existing facilities
- To provide access and exposure to students to research laboratories and industries in the country
- To help in devising standard curricula and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) / kits for practicals