Department of Journalism and Mass Communication
Year of Establishment 1999
- MA in Journalism and Mass Communication)
- B.A (Journalism and Mass Communication)
- Certificate course in Film and Video Editing
- Dr. Somak Sen(Assistant Professor & Head )
- Mrs. Manpreet Kaur (Assistant Professor)
- Mr. Nidhi Sharma (Lecturer)
- Ms. Priya Chander (Lecturer)
- Mr. Sandeep (Lecturer)
Strengths of Department
The department of Journalism and Mass Communication is a vital and significant part of the college which has been set up to cater to the growing demand of students interested in pursuing career in print and electronic media. Introduced in 1999 as a vocational subject in undergraduate classes, the department is currently running a three years degree course BJMC to train students in different dimensions of mass communication such as reporting, writing, editing, photography, advertising and jobs in radio, television as well as in print media. The state of the art studios of the department help students to learn all aspects of film making, TV production and TV Journalism and enables students to keep up with the demands of changing media scenario. The department is visited by eminent media personalities and frequently arranges workshops, guest lectures, panel discussions, visits to radio, TV and newspaper offices.
The department has a brilliant placement record since its beginning. Students of this department are presently working in renowned media houses in Punjab, Haryana, Delhi and Himachal Pradesh. Among of them, News X, Dainik Jagran, Punjabi Jagran, Jus Punjabi, TV Punjab, Fastway are quite familiar.
Research project of BJMC V Semester: Survey on Teachers Day
An educational institution is known by the quality of its teachers. Keeping this in mind the final year students of Journalism and Mass Communication Department of Kanya Maha Vidalaya conducted a survey to study this beautiful student –teacher relationship on the occasion of teacher’s day. A sample of 100 (both students and teachers) were questioned through well structured questionnaires. A lot number of interesting questions were posed regarding positive student- teacher relationship, good communication skills of teachers, responsiveness of students, pressures of peer group, increasing exposures of students towards technology and internet, advent of commercialism and materialism in the field of education etc. Many teachers opined that positive teacher-student relationships draw students into the process of learning and promote their desire to learn a teacher and student who have the qualities of good communications earns respect in classroom, and successfully develops good relationship . The teachers who communicate effectively with their students achieve appropriate feedback from their students. Whereas some students opined that a close, but limited relationship between the student and teacher can be helpful for those students who are shy, and find speaking in front of the classroom difficult.
Student's initiative-event management exercise
- Desi theatre was put up wherein movies were shown.
- Various sets of photography like rajasthani, punjabi virsa, effigy of modern women were designed by students
- Electronic greeting cards were prepared and sold to students.
- Mugs with engraved pictures of students were displayed and sold on order
Film Production Workshop
The department organized two day inter school and inter college workshop on 100 years of Cinema on 1-2 February 2013.various schools and renowned colleges teams participated. Many film personalities like Anurag Singh, Director of Punjabi movie "Jatt & Juliet" and Jatinder Maur ,dignatories director of punbjabi movie “Sarsa”, Sargi, a renouned TV Actress of Serial “Ladoo” and guest appearance in movie ”Agneepath” and Mr. Harpal, comedian took sessions of the students. Academicians like Dr. Harjeet, Dr. KS Duggal, and Dr. Namarta Joshi gave lectures on the journey of 100 years of cinema. Certificates were awarded to the participants.
Shooting of Miss Punjaban Program of PTC Punjabi held at college campus. Malkeet Singh a renowned singer interacted with students and students understood technical aspects of video production.
- State of the Art Audio & Video Studio Cool Lights
- Microphones : AKG 45 Wireless Mic, Sennheiser Ew 100 ENG . , Sennheiser Ew 112 P for Viedo Recordings Talk Show Eng Programmes. Manfrotto Tripod 504 HD, Atomas Ninja Camera Recorder
- Teleprompter - The newsroom Teleprompter is the easiest and best way to present the news by students in studio.
- Final Cut Pro- Final Cut Pro is a non linear Video editing system based on mac. The software allows students to log and transfer video onto a hard drive, where it can be edited, processed and output to a wide variety of formats.
- Yamaha Digital Audio Console 01V96i – It is used for radio and music production,Audio Studio equipped with i Mac ,RJ Microphone BCM 705, Avid Pro Tools Audio & Radio Productions Software Yamaha Studio Monitors, Zoom H2N Audio Recorder for Field Recording, Beyerdynamic Mic TG35ds Guest Mics etc.
- Sony HDVZ-5 Camera – Students can shoot their projects like newsanchoring, news bulletin, documentaries etc
- D3200 Still Camera